Friday, June 10, 2011

Letters

I took an Inductive Bible Study class last year, t'was a great class. In the textbook, there was a bit of truth that I will never forget. It explained the feelings one gets when they receive a love letter either from a friend or family or boyfriend/girlfriend, whatever. Everyone can relate. When you get this letter from a loved one, you look at it very carefully. You take the time to double check the envelope and make sure you got every last drop of whatever that person sent you. It's funny. I got a letter from a friend today and began turning it over, checking the envelope, looking at it from every angle to make sure I didn't miss anything. I was trying so hard to soak up that person, their words and essentially feel all of the love I could possibly feel from this simple piece of mail.

The textbook said that this is how we should view God's word.

Ouch. I don't do this with my bible. I don't read the chapters over and over flipping it upside down to make sure I didn't miss anything. I don't try to soak up every drop that I can from the scripture. It makes me sick to think that I love people more than God, but my actions make this seem true. Time after time I will choose to make my friendships and loved ones my idol and not my savior. He wrote me the perfect love letter and I don't even give it half of the attention I gave that letter today. Friendships and loved ones are a beautiful gift from God, He has created each of us to need both Him and His community, but when we abuse those gifts it becomes distasteful to His sight. Father, help me not to do this. I need scripture. I need to soak in the love God has lade out for me on those pages.

The dynamics of God's word are amazing. How can I not want more of it?

Hebrews 4:12 "For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart."

2 comments: