Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Guilt to Grace? I don't know what to title this...

I've been thinking about the ways I spend my time lately.
I've been sick the past few days and I really hate getting sick. It makes me sit still and I get all angry inside because I can't get up and move about without feeling like my head will explode. I sleep a lot. I watch movies or read. I feel like i'm not being productive. But being sick also makes me think straight, I feel like I get back to the basics of what I actually think about myself and my life. Its weird, but I kind of like that feeling. I find myself more content in some ways.
I am such an American, I thrive on productivity! That's so nasty. You know what is also nasty? Guilt. The guilt monster lives on my back. He tells me I'm a failure a lot when I don't get something done that I set out to do. He's such a punk. If he were real I'd punch him in the gut.
I have this dream schedule of my life where I work out regularly, read my bible and other books, clean, write people, be creative... its impossible. If you know me, I'm not really a schedule person. I like having things in order, but I like the mess of life too. All those things get done, just not at the same time. I don't really mind interruptions. I could probably live up to that listy-schedule if I were a robot. But i'm not a robot. I'm human, I am a female human and I live a messy life. But things get done. I need to just accept that. It's not going to change. So I guess I need to just tell that guilt monster to suck it (Don't judge me that I just said suck it). I need to live in better things than guilt like- love and peace and grace... the fruits of the spirit!

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law" Galatians 5:22-23.

Bottom line: Law leads to guilt, grace leads to freedom through Christ.

2 comments:

  1. ditto.

    i love that when you write - it legitimately feels like your talking out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. exactly. it's not about the checklist, it's about how things on the checklist are carried out.

    :)

    ReplyDelete